Happy International Bacon Day !

No, this is not a snark post aimed at the peace lovers.

Well…… Maybe it is at the end of the column. 😉

There are times in life that require true celebratory machinations and the Saturday before Labor Day is most definitely of that ilk.

From the bestest-evah website Bacon Today:

A day dedicated to the world’s best salty, savory, and crunchy version of the other white meat? Have I died and gone to hog heaven?

Nope, you are very much still alive. There truly is a day dedicated to our beloved pork treat. Oh bacon, how we love thee. We have devoted an entire day to celebrate your scrumptious existence.

According to Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia, “International Bacon Day or Bacon Day is an unofficial observance, often celebrated on the Saturday before US Labor Day (the first Monday of September).

Bacon day celebrations typically include social gatherings during which participants create and consume dishes containing bacon, including bacon-themed breakfasts, lunches, dinners, desserts, and drinks.”

Well, there you have it. Permission to indulge in all that is bacon. Because you know that once it’s been published on the internet, it must be real. And you must observe this day of devout love for pan-fried pork goodness. Start calling your neighbors, invite the family, text your friends, gather the kids.

Join together in celebration of epic bacon proportions! Bring on the bacon dishes and bacon drinks! Yes, bacon drinks! Bacon goes well with booze, right? Sure, it does. Bacon goes well with everything!

God Bless America and God Bless Bacon !

Ululululululu !…… Baconhu Akhbahr™ !!!

22 Responses to Happy International Bacon Day !

1. taxmaiden says:

mmmmmm, bacon… Would a pork roast count?

2. taxmaiden says:

And I’m guessing paired with a nice chardonnay, right?

• kennysolomon says:

For beverages, I’d recommend the following:

Wine: White – Preferably a good Pinot Grigio such as Voga from Sicily.

Sparkling – With peppered bacon, a good Champagne (Veuve Cliquot yellow label) and when enjoying ‘regular’ bacon, a solid-bodied Proseco matches fine.

Beer: Any ‘light’ beer is best, but if you go ‘heavy’, one of the Norwegian brews from Nogne, like their Porter, would be a good choice.

Non-alcoholic: My fav is an ‘Arnold Palmer’, half sweet tea and half lemonade.

Cheers !

3. Steve M. says:

Would be ideal faire at the 911 ceremonies at ground zero. Send at least a quart to Bloomberg.

4. Nancy Farner says:

Sooooooo -weeeeet post Kenny!

5. Horrified in Hollywood says:

Just sayin’, what about a BLT on honey wheat toast, hellman’s, beefsteak tomatoes, arugula and B-A-C-O-N…….
    along with a BIG diet coke………..and fries, of course.

• kennysolomon says:

I’m off to the pub to watch my beloved Yankees – Lunch today shall be a BLT with extra bacon and after that – if I’m still a bit peckish – probably will get potato skins with extra bacon.

Dinner this evening…. What else…… The Bacon Explosion……… I make my own, I don’t buy it from them.

6. faboutlaws says:

I occasionally make my own bacon. It’s easy if you have a smoker and commercial slicer. You have control over the type and amount of smoke as with the amount of saltiness.

If you have a needle injector you can add other flavors too. With the slab bacon you can control the thickness of your product and do all kind of other things you can’t do with store stuff. 5/8″ thick by 11/4″ squares make good shishkebob with onion and pepper.

There is a Mexican version called alambres that has alternating thick bacon, onion, ham, onion pork or beef, onion ect and tightly packed on the skewer.

Thick bacon makes good pork and beans or the better Mexican version called charro beans with thick bacon squares, pinto beans, onion, garlic, bacon grease and chipotle in adobo.

Then there is pork belly, the uncured version of the meat. Roast it like the English do with a side of homemade orange zest flavored granny smith applesauce. Or Chinese twice cooked pork where it is simmered,skinned, sliced and stir fried with onions and bok choy in a spicy ginger, soy, garlic, hot bean sauced gravy.

Throw an extra ration into beef burgundy along with the essential bacon. You can also smoke it uncured and thin slice and stack it on a sandwich.

I could go on all day. Yeah I like the stuff and I don’t have to worry about any Mohammad coming any where near it.

Didn’t know it was bacon day, so we’re having frog legs Provencale tonight.

7. […] Israel Survival Updates: Happy International Bacon Day ! […]

8. Bubbe says:

Turkey bacon on whole wheat with garlic mayo and Big, Red Tomatoes with black olives slices. (I know, I know. I wimped on the bacon.)

• kennysolomon says:

Bubbe:

Ya do whatcha gotta do. Tain’t gonna yell on ya fer da toikee.

I like the olive idea on the sank-witch though – Kalamatas are my fav, but that would take the salt content waaaaay too high with the bacon and mayo.

9. faboutlaws says:

Allah made pork haram because he hates muslims.

10. […] Israel Survival Updates: Happy International Bacon Day ! […]

11. Wow dude, 50 RTs you rocked this most compelling story and one ALL Americans (except the skinny, dirty vegetarians) can get behind!!